Monday, September 21, 2009

Some Peace, Much Sadness

Today is September 21st. Four years ago, Mama Marian's mother passed away on this day. And, four years later, we are saying goodbye to Mama Marian.

The last two days have brought many changes and the Hospice nurses expect that Mom may go anytime now... perhaps sometime tonight or tomorrow morning. Her breathing has become very raspy and shallow and her skin is beginning to look bluish and dusky. She still looks beautiful, though; and, for the first time in months, she is peaceful, relaxed, and comfortable. I spent last night with her and she was very still, but very hot. She has what they call a "tumor fever" where her brain's temperature regulation becomes affected by the swelling from her tumor and her whole body becomes feverish, except her forehead and face.

We are playing her music and talking to her between our tears and the positioning that the aides do every hour or so to help her breathe comfortably. They have increased her Morphine dose and have added a medication that clears up some of the fluids that collect in her throat, as she is no longer able to swallow.

I can't write much more today... maybe later. I wanted to let everyone know how much has changed and, if you would like to see her, say good-bye, give her a kiss... today would probably be a good day to do that.

13 comments:

  1. Oh Megan....I am sending hugs and kisses and prayers from Cleveland. What a journey, what memories, my heart is breaking for all of you. Love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is heavy....may God be with all of you.......

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, please give her a kiss from me. I can't be there today, I wish I could. Amy and I were trying to figure out when Grandma Hodder had passed away, I knew it was close. I pray she will soon be with Grandma, loving life and the birds in Heaven. Our prayers and love are overflowing for Aunt Marian and all of you guys. We love you. Love, Kelly & Clark

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are continuing to keep you and your family in our prayers.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan,
    I am so sorry. Your family continues to be in my thoughts and prayers.
    -Sarah DeVito

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan,
    You have done an amazing job on your blog and allowing us all to be there for you through your sharing. We are all here for you and with you. Take care of yourself - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan -
    I feel so fortunate to have met both you and Mama Marian, and to have brought her some enjoyment with Bella. My thoughts and prayers are with you as Mama finds peace.
    - Kelly Massucci and Bella the greyhound

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts an prayers are with you all. Your writings through all of this amaze and inspire me. You are gifted with a unique strength, understanding and compassion. Thank you for sharing and bringing us in close with you.
    Brian Dolen

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGosh I am sending my condolences! I worked with Marian at The Hartford and she was A WONDERFUL woman!!! She will be missed and you are all in my thoughts and prayers!!
    Tara Parham

    ReplyDelete
  10. Megan, my heart hurts for not only you, Jim, and Jeff, but for all who love Marian. And coming from John & I, who only knew her for a brief part of her life, anyone who has ever met Marian surely loves her. Would you please give her a big hug from us and do tell her that we love her? I am so impressed w/ the strength & fortitude with which you all have handled this tragic situation. Our hearts and prayers go out to you.
    -Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jim, Meghan, Jeff
    I am deeply saddened by the news - I will keep all of you in my prayers - I will miss her SO much.
    Loreen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Megan,
    Thanks from all of us at APS for sharing Mama Marian with us. I had the pleasure of working with her in Avon Park South for a year and many times she was there to provide any of us with a smile or a laugh - especially if someone was having a rough day. She will always be an inspiration to smile and keep things light in life. May she be at peace & pain free now...

    Bill Schouten

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Megan,
    My heart is weeping with you and your dad and brother. Although her going has been in process for some time, there is still such finalness when a person leaves for good.

    May her spirit comfort you and may you find more than one bird waiting to be seen, in the same way she noticed birds.

    I am holding you and yours in the light as she make preparations for her final resting. Everyone here at work is remembering you and wishing that we were closer to be able to do more. But there will be other times.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete