Saturday, January 9, 2010

Dear Mom

Sometime last month, shortly after our first snowfall, I found you again. For the first time in so long I was able to close my eyes and not see you dying... I could settle into bed without feeling the searing pain and desperation. And I began to feel you everywhere.

It took a few weeks for me to realize that the flashbacks and the trauma of the last year had begun to fade. I had grown accustomed to the ever-present emptiness during the daytime, only to be replaced with terror and sadness waiting on my pillow at night. The release was not anything I expected or have felt before. And there have even been moments since in which I have felt so filled up with you that my loneliness and my doubts seemed suddenly weightless.

When I think back on these moments there is a peace that I feel, no matter how frightening and heartbroken the hours before might seem. And I know that you are real and forever in a way I could not have imagined. It is not what I thought and it is not what I had wanted, but it is right and it is real in itself.

I've been sketching my memory of you every day since and there are times I want to write it all down in case it takes on the fade of an old photograph over time. I know that it's not possible to do, but there are things I cannot bear to lose and I refuse to believe that my children will not see them as vividly as I. Your voice, your laughter, the feel of your smile all around... the way you seem to almost bounce instead of walk through many memories. Of course I remember the other parts too... anger in your eyes, desperation in your words, fear that shook you to the core at times; but now I can remember beyond the sick and terrifying days of last year and that is a gift in itself.

Somehow, we survived Christmas. Taking out the boxes of ornaments, artifacts from Jeff's and my childhood you'd kept, and everything wrapped and marked with your writing made your absence so real all over again. I remember coming home from the hospital that Saturday last November when you were diagnosed, feeling so exhausted from sobbing and holding onto you so hard. I went to lie down on your side of the bed and I thought I might go crazy right then and there. The thought that our house would not be our house without you, your bed would not be your bed... how could I continue to be alive if you would not? My life exists because of you and your life... so how, how could it be that I might go on if you had to stop? Decorating the house for Christmas this year was like lying in your bed that day, except I couldn't do what I did last November. I couldn't get in the car and drive right back to you and hold on for dear life. Instead I grabbed onto what I have of you now and promised you that I would hold on anyway for you and for me, for Dad, and for Jeff.

I like to think of what you might say to me in any given moment. Most days, I believe that I know exactly what it would be and just how you might say it. That keeps me going, Mama. There are things that I can only do for you when I can't do them for myself and they always end up being the right things. No matter how difficult that is some days, I know that I can do it for you, just as you did it for me for 29 years.

3 comments:

  1. My Lord you are amazing. I find myself reading your blog and I am blown away with this girl, but no, you are a woman and such a sensitive gifted one at that!! Lisa Gemmer told me you had a new blog and I read it and I cried and I smiled and I said to myself...rest Marian, you did a fine job...you raised a gem!! Kathy Amrein

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan - thank you for keeping this blog going - I have been filled with sadness myself at times at the thought of missing Marian - I can feel just as you are feeling because I lost my mom at 58 yrs old when I was only 34ys old and my dad 5 yrs later and I cried for years at every holiday, on special days. Time goes on and yes there are memories but, can relate with you on the things like the handwriting (Mom's recipe cards and cards that I kept over the yrs) and I hold those things close to my heart and will NEVER let go of them. I prayed for you guys over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays thinking how hard it would be for all of you - and I agree with Kathy you are amazing with your talent and sensitivity - I hope someday you will do something further your talent - please say hello to your dad, and my best to all of you. I keep Jeff in my thoughts and prayers as well being in the service and prob going back oversea's sometime soon if not already. That was a GIFT that he was still here until the day of Mom's passing. BEST wishes to you Megan and take good care please... Make Mom Proud as I am sure you will!
    Loreen Luce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, I just drift back to this blog from time to time remembering your mom. You are so eloquent and honest. You are such a gifted writer and your words help others heal as you are surely helping yourself. I loved your mom and still do. Sending love your way each day. Kathy Franz Euclid HS class of 1969 and Wai Napolo!

    ReplyDelete